Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Hosanna Days

The Easter season has already come and went.  Still, I am pondering nuggets of gold from Palm Sunday.


I love to picture the crowds when Jesus triumphantly entered Jerusalem that first Palm Sunday a couple thousand years ago. I feel like the excitement started as a small hum as a few people began calling out "Hosanna," and laying palm branches in the road before Jesus as He rode along on a donkey. Others picked up the refrain "Hosanna, Blessed is he that comes in the name of the Lord," until the sound swelled into a roar that the whole city heard.

The word "Hosanna" means "Oh, Save Us Now."

On that first Palm Sunday, the people were hoping for a deliverance from Roman rulers.  They didn't understand that Jesus came to bring spiritual deliverance, not a physical deliverance at that time.

Over two thousand years later, I find that I need saving. Of course, I need salvation. I cannot earn favor with God.  I cannot earn eternal life.  I am a sinner who wants to repent. I must trust in Christ, and believe on His name.

But in addition to that, I need to be saved from myself. I am my own worst enemy.

Most of the time, I know what I should do.  For example, Matthew 28:41 tells me, “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” I know I need to ever be in a vigilant state and to pray that I won't fall.  But, I'm lazy or I grow complacent and think, " I've been doing so well, I don't have to worry about falling." Beware! Thinking you won't fall is an invitation to disaster.

I know I need to keep my thoughts on good, true, lovely and pure things. [See Philippians 4:8] Yet, it is so easy to fall in the trap of watching or reading the news and start dwelling on all the things that is wrong in my world.  Pretty soon, I'm depressed!

I know I need to rest. In fact, God thinks rest is so important, He set aside a whole day for resting. Instead, I over-commit and over-book myself to where there is little time to just "be."  Sometimes, the most creative ideas come when you are doing nothing.  If your mind is jammed-full of thoughts, how can there be room for inspiration?

I think the next time I mess up, I'm just going to call "Hosanna!" Please save me now! 

In fact, I'm sure there are going to be "Hosanna Days," days where I mess up so totally, my only hope would be a Savior who will take my burdens in exchange for His.  Because His burden is light.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-31 NIV



I'm writing in community with Michelle at Graceful,

and,



and

5 comments:

  1. 2000 years later and I need saving as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post! You described how I am feeling lately so well. Hosanna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some great lessons in that week leading up to the Cross! What a fickle bunch those people were! Now we are in the season leading up to the Asension and the arrival of the Holy Spirit! What an Awesome God we serve! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Hosanna days"
    Love it!

    And this:
    "I need to be saved from myself. I am my own worst enemy."
    That's how I feel too. Crying out to Him for salvation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this post. "I need to keep my thoughts on good, true, lovely and pure things." There are so many things in this world that pull my mind elsewhere! It's a constant effort, but so important. Hosanna!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.